Thursday, October 26, 2006

CATALYST 2006: Marcus Buckingham...

(I know that I have been really behind in getting up some notes from Catalyst. I have been really busy...last 2 weeks I have spoken 10+ times, lots of planning with the Middle School Ministry, and much more!)

Here are some notes from the session with Marcus Buckingham at Catalyst 2006:

  • In all great teams they have:
    • A GREAT Manager (How long you stay, how well you succeed, how well you do your job depends on your manager.)
  • What is the job of the manager?
    • To turn one person's talent into performance.
    • The best managers are able to see the growth in a person and IT keeps you going!
    • People are always a work in progress.
  • One thing I know about GREAT Managers:
    • They find out what is UNIQUE about each person and capitalize on it.
      • This is a great challenge of managing people.
  • 3 Myths that you have been taught and believe:
    • As you grow, your personality changes
      • TRUTH: As you grow, you become more and more of who you really are!
    • You will grow the most in your area of weaknesses
      • TRUTH: You will grow the most in your strengths, in that an area of your GREATEST strength!
    • The team need the most of you is to chip in
      • TRUTH: The team needs you to focus on your strengths and give it to the team. If each person does this you will have a well rounded team!
  • "And the day came when the risk it took to remain in the bud, became greater than the day it took to blossom."
I enjoyed listening to Marcus Buckingham. He did a good job talking about playing to your strengths, but I really enjoyed learning about managing people. That is something that I have been trying to read an study more. Good information. I think that I will read some of his books:
I have already acquired the first two listed. If anyone would like to get me the third, just let me know. Leave a comment!!! Have a great one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Alden!! Sorry about your USC boys this weekend---Me and J miss you--how about calling us when you are G-VEGAS--

Anonymous said...

Hey Alden--call us when you are in town--The Caskeys