Monday, September 19, 2005

ENGAGE.....

Tonight I was reading in the book of Acts, Chapter 17. I was struck by something that has challenged me in my walk with Christ and in my desire to share the gospel. Paul is speaking to the Aeropagus, meaning Council, about the one true God. First of all, Paul was a student. Paul spent much of his time reading, thinking, meditating, and reasoning through the scriptures. He learned from others, such as Gamaliel. Needless to say, Paul knew his stuff. He was well grounded in his faith! Paul not only knew the scriptures, but he knew the culture around him that he was called to minister to!

In verse 28, Paul says, “For in him we live and move and have our being. As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’” Paul quoted the poets of that time and of that culture. In reading that it spoke to me that Paul spent time learning and knowing the culture of that time, so that he could ENGAGE the people. For me, that has challenged me to learn, to investigate, and to be acquainted with the culture of today’s student, so that I can ENGAGE them! Our student ministry at NewSpring is and will continue to ENGAGE today’s students to reach them for the kingdom of Christ.

I challenge you to always be aware of the people that you have been given the task to minister to. God has called me and placed me to Student Ministry. A ministry to students grades 6-12. I need to spend time learning and knowing their culture, so that I can ENGAGE them! Take time to learn the culture, spend time with them, and build relationships with the people, so that you can ENGAGE them with the gospel. Example: We do not sent missionaries to Americanize other countries and then tell them about Jesus? NO!!!!! We learn the culture, the people, and then we ENGAGE them where they are! ENGAGE those around you with the gospel! The gospel is the best news this world can hear, so the time spent studying is well worth it!!

1 comment:

relauncher said...

So, when you asked Deanna to marry you, did you become ENGAGED?! :D